Eating places, cafes and councils supply free meals to children after Marcus Rashford marketing campaign – the place to seek out it

While restaurants and councils offering to extend school meals into half-term may provide temporary respite, sadly many people struggle to afford food on a daily basis and need more long-term support.

If that’s you, there are places that can help. In particular, foodbanks give out free parcels that should provide at least three days’ worth of in-date, non-perishable food. To get help from most foodbanks, you need to be referred (though this isn’t the case with some independent foodbanks). You can typically get referred by a doctor, health visitor, school or social worker. If you’re not sure who to talk to, try asking Citizens Advice.

You’ll likely be asked some questions about your income and why you need to use the foodbank. This ensures the food goes to people who need it most. Common reasons for referrals include redundancy, receiving an unexpected bill or a delay in benefit payments.

The Trussell Trust is one of the biggest foodbank charities in the UK, where it runs two-thirds of foodbanks – use its website to check if it operates near you.

If you’re struggling financially, also see our Debt Problems guide, which has details of what to do and where to get help.

Comments are closed.