"I reclaimed £ 1,100 after overpaying my pupil mortgage in FOUR completely different years."

Here's how to see if you've overpaid your loan – and get it back

If you think you paid too much, log into the online refund service to check. There you will find annual financial statements with the repayments made annually. Go to the "View Correspondence" section of your account.

If you think you have paid too much, you must call the Student Loans Company on 0300 100 0611 (or +44 141 243 3660 from overseas), explain your situation and ask for a refund of the money owed. The phone lines are currently open but keep in mind that they may be busier than usual as the students have just returned to university.

There is no time limit to claim – you can go back as far as you want. However, if you are claiming money back because you did not earn above the threshold in a given tax year, you will have to wait until that tax year is over. If you find that you are owed and successfully reclaim, let us know at [email protected]

Should you claim back if you've paid too much?

Of course, when you claim money back, the amount you claim back will be returned to your student loan balance and, of course, interest will be charged as well. Even so, in most cases, it's still worth reclaiming them.

Many students – especially those in England and Wales who started college in or after 2012 and have "Plan 2" loans – are unlikely to repay their loan in full before it is canceled. Those with 'Plan 1' loans – all students who started between 1998 and 2011, and students in Scotland and Wales since then – are more likely to pay off all of their debts, but even then there is cash flow – Blessings, if they are reclaimed now, and it may be worth using the money to pay off other more expensive debts first.

Comments are closed.